+256 704 538 374 info@ydcarrentaluganda.com
+256 704 538 374 info@ydcarrentaluganda.com

Cross-border car rental Uganda

Cross-border car rental Uganda: Are you interested in renting a car and heading off on a memorable road trip or safari through a string of countries? Regardless of the countries you drive through, overland journeys are always a spectacular adventure, yet you will need to rent a reliable and high-performance car.


Your Drive Uganda offers affordable cross-border car rental services in Uganda. You can start your trip in Uganda and travel across borders to the neighbouring East African countries with ease. We will get you a suitable rental car on favourable terms. Booking an East African tourist visa ($100) will easily give you access to these countries with just one visa.

Best Car Options for your Cross-border car rental Uganda

Your Drive Uganda offers a wide range of rental cars suitable for cross-border trips across Uganda, Rwanda, Kenya, or Tanzania. Our extensive fleet includes the versatile Toyota Rav4, the robust 4×4 Land Cruiser Prado TX/TX with rooftop tent, the 4×4 Land Cruiser V8/VX, the 4X4 Land Cruiser V8/VX with a convenient Popup roof, the 4X4 Land Cruiser V8/VX with rooftop tent, the 4×4 Safari Land Cruiser Extended, the Nissan Safari, Super Custom, Overland trucks, and Mini-vans. We offer substantial discounts for those interested in long-term rental options, making it a cost-effective choice.

These vehicles are known for their robust performance and ability to handle challenging terrain. They are well-suited for rugged landscapes and bumpy roads in all weather conditions and are the most recommended vehicles for long trips or for those interested in taking safaris to remote or off-the-beaten-track destinations.

Border crossing tips

The idea of crossing borders in a rental car can be intimidating. However, it can be far easier than you expect if you read the fine print. Below are some tips on driving your rental car over country borders.

  1. Can I take my rental to another country?

In Uganda, car rental companies typically allow renters to drive their vehicles across international borders into neighbouring countries in East Africa. However, a cross-border fee may apply in order to drive the car across the border.

It’s important to always inform the rental company of your travel intentions since they will have to give you permission to take their car out of the country. If you fail to let them know of your travel plans, you may consequently break the contract terms.

Travel restrictions, which include how long renters will spend out of a country with a rental car, vary depending on the company offering the service. The type of vehicle you rent may also influence whether border crossings are possible (high-value cars and cars deemed inappropriate for the road by host countries may not be allowed).

Most car rental companies may not accept renters to cross borders to specific countries, especially those that are experiencing insecurities such as wars or unrest. A case in point is South Sudan and the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC). You will be required to do adequate research on the safety and security of the countries you plan to visit before embarking on your actual trip.

  1. What is a cross-border fee?

A cross-border fee is applied to your rental in order to cover the extra insurance required to drive the vehicle outside of the country from which you rented it. Paying the fee guarantees that your insurance will remain valid. However, booking a rental car with us allows you to enjoy your trip or safari without necessarily incurring the cross-border fee since we organize all the required paperwork or documentation and provide necessary advice on the required insurance when driving in another country.

  1. Are there any requirements involved in crossing borders with a rental car?

Yes, typically, cross-border travel will always require you to possess some important requirements in order to be allowed into the countries you are visiting. These may include:

  • A valid passport and visa

A valid passport and visa will be required in order to cross into another country. However, East African residents who possess the East African passport may not require a visa to travel around East Africa. You can book the East African Tourist Visa (at $100), which allows you to travel to Uganda, Rwanda, and Kenya with a single visa. It is equally important to travel with an emergency travel document other than a valid passport or a national identity card (ID).

  • An International driver’s license or national driver’s permit

An International driver’s license or national driver’s permit will be required to gain entry into another country. A local driver’s license (applicable to the East African Community) is also usually recognized.

  • Letter of Authority from the Car Rental Company

A letter of Authority from the Car rental Company is usually proof of ownership of the car and services and consent or authorization for the renter to cross borders.

  • Car registration 

You must have a certified copy of your car registration to present at the border station to allow you to cross over with a rental car. This is usually accompanied by a letter of authorization from the rental company.

Renting a car in Uganda for a self-drive cross-border trip could be easier than you imagined. Simply get in touch with our reservations team by sending an email to info@yourdriveuganda.com or calling us now at +256 704 538 374.